Take your living room from good to great! A few small steps will make your living room a space that is great for entertaining, making family memories, or curling up with tea and a good book.
Try these five ways to take your living room from good to great:
1. Add Extra Seating: In order for people to spend time in the living room, there has to be somewhere for them to sit. Add extra seating so that your guests and family members can congregate. Buy an extra couch, love seat, chair, or build a window seat. Adding comfort to the living room will help create an environment where memories can be made.
2. Natural Lighting: Increase your living room’s natural lighting. BrightNest recommends maximizing natural light by strategically placing mirrors across from windows to reflect light from the windows. They also recommend hanging translucent curtains instead of opaque ones. Paint your furniture, walls, and ceiling a light color to increase the illusion of natural light.
3. Clear the Clutter: You probably have several coffee table books that haven’t been opened since 1994 (we all do). Instead of letting them sit in your living room collecting dust, put them away (or get rid of them), along with all other non-daily items. Clear off surfaces and floors to create as much open space as possible. It’s both practical and aesthetically pleasant.
4. Add Art: Fill your living room with beautiful art that you love. You’ll love admiring it every day. Art is also a great conversation starter. Tell your guests why each piece is special to you and your family.
5. Add Personal Photographs and Family Heirlooms: Your family will love spending time in a room that is filled with family memories. Hang photos on the walls, keep photo albums in a bookshelf, and display family heirlooms around your living room.
Follow these suggestions to make your living room a room where everyone will want to spend time. Get ready for cocktail parties, family game nights, roastings marshmallows in the fireplace, and spending lots of time in your new room.